|Measure Title:||RELATING TO FIREARMS.|
Firearms; Gun Safety; High Caliber Guns
|Description:||Includes any firearm or rifle with the capacity to fire ammunition of fifty caliber or higher in the list of prohibited weapons.|
|Hearing Date and Time:||Senate floor vote coming soon! Call your Senator.|
WHAT DOES THIS BILL DO?
- BANS The POSSESSION, sale or transfer of Firearms that can fire a bullet 0.5″ (50 cal) or larger in diameter.
- Recent amendment excluded shotguns and muzzleloaders.
- Ban is still applies to rifles and handguns.
- NO GRANDFATHERING FOR AFFECTED FIREARMS CURRENTLY LEGALLY OWED.
- Bans all of the above for manufacture, acquisition, transfer, and importation into Hawaii
WHY DOES HIFICO OPPOSE THIS BILL?
- HUNTING BAN: This bill would ban the possession of rifles used for hunting large game or hunting with revolvers.
- FIREARMS BANNED: This would include, but not limited to, 50BMG, 50 beowulf, 50-70 sharp, 500 nitro express, 50 AE (desert eagle), 500 S&W
- BAD PRECEDENT: This sets a bad precedent, what firearms will be banned next?
- MISPLACED PRIORITIES: Instead of focusing on the taking of legal property from law abiding gun owners the legislature needs to put its resources to helping those citizens crippled by the government lockdowns of their businesses as a result of the Coronavirus and reduce the rampant crime.
- GUN CONFISCATION: This bill would make legally owned property illegal with the stroke of a pen and force gun owners to surrender or destroy their property
- BAD REASONING: The reason this bill was introduced was to address airplane shootings and 1.5 mile sniper shots. These crimes do not occur in the US and it there are only a handful of people in the world that can reliably make a shot over a mile.
HOW TO TESTIFY
Please call and email your DISTRICT SENATOR and tell them to “Vote no for the 2nd and 3rd readings for SB307.” Find your SENATOR here: https://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/fyl/