|Measure Title:||RELATING TO FIREARM REGISTRATION.|
|Report Title:||Firearms; Gun Safety; Registration|
|Description:||Requires the registration of firearms that are moved out of the State. Imposes a fine of $250 per firearm for violations. (SD2)|
HIFICO’s position: OPPOSE
- Must notify the firearms department that the firearm was permanently moved out of state.
- $250 civil fine
- How does the person know if they will return to Hawaii with the firearms later?
- Registration records will still be present.
- Once a gun owner leaves the state, Hawaii’s laws have no effect on them.
- More unnecessary regulations against the law-abiding gun owner.
SB3054 requires the owner of a firearm to notify the firearms department within 5 days of a firearm permanently leaving the State. The purpose of this bill is for the State to have a more accurate record of firearms in Hawaii.
HIFICO recommends the bill be amended to remove the penalty and require the firearm registration data to be permanently erased upon request of the owner.