|Measure Title:||RELATING TO FIREARMS.|
|Report Title:||Firearms; Detachable Magazines|
|Description:||Expands the ban on pistols with a detachable magazine with over ten round capacity to any firearm with a detachable magazine with over ten round capacity.|
|Hearing Date and Time:||Senate floor vote coming soon! Call your Senator.|
WHAT DOES THIS BILL DO?
- BAN the POSSESSION AND SALE of any magazine over 10 rounds
- NO GRANDFATHERING FOR MAGAZINES OVER 10 ROUNDS!
WHY DOES HIFICO OPPOSE THIS BILL?
- IN COMMON USE: There are hundreds of thousands of magazines affected by this law ranging from AR15s, to M1 Carbines, to Ruger 10/22s.
- PENDING LAWSUITS: Likewise magazines that hold ammunition over 10 rounds number are also in common use, with over 100,000 here in the Aloha State alone. There is already a court case in the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals awaiting decision on the California ban of rifle magazines over 10 rounds. In addition, there is a pending court case seeking to overturn the ban on pistol magazines over 10 rounds (ABBOTT vs Connors) Why are the authors and sponsors of this bill pushing for a ban on magazines that may result in costing the state millions of dollars to the tax payers of the State?
- MISPLACED PRIORITIES: Instead of focusing on the taking of legal property from law abiding gun owners the legislature needs to put its resources to helping those citizens crippled by the government lockdowns of their businesses as a result of the Coronavirus and rampant crime in the communities.
- Bill status page: https://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/measure_indiv.aspx?billtype=SB&billnumber=301&year=2021
HOW TO TESTIFY
Please call and email your DISTRICT SENATOR and tell them to “Vote no for the 2nd and 3rd readings for SB301.” Find your SENATOR here: https://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/fyl/