|Measure Title:||RELATING TO FIREARMS AMMUNITION.|
|Report Title:||Ammunition; Purchase; License to Sell|
|Description:||Prohibits any person from selling ammunition or shell casings for any firearm unless the purchaser first demonstrates that they are the registered owner of the firearm for which the ammunition or shell casings are to be purchased. Authorizes registered owners to designate a person as an alternate on the gun registration only for the purpose of purchasing ammunition. Requires the licensing of sellers of ammunition and provides for the identification and proper permitting of purchasers or possessors of ammunition. Regulate ammunition in the same manner as firearms. Requires the Attorney General to update registration forms. Effective 1/1/2021. (SD2)|
|Current Referral:||JUD/PVM, FIN|
|Introducer(s):||K. RHOADS, BAKER, NISHIHARA, Keith-Agaran|
HIFICO’s position: OPPOSE
- This law does NOTHING but inconvenience firearms owners.
- Firearm owners will need to re-register their firearms to add convertible calibers and/or add an alternate person.
- Current wait time for a registration appointment is 11 weeks in Honolulu.
- HRS 134-3(b) prohibits disclosure of firearm registration forms to firearm sellers for confidentiality.
- Criminals will steal ammo, along with firearms.
- Criminals don’t go to gun stores. Where are the statistics?
- Persons from out of state may not have any of the required documents. (hunters, competition shooters, visitors, etc)