USE THE FORM BELOW TO SUBMIT TESTIMONY ON THIS BILL, TESTIMONY MUST BE SENT BY;
WEDNESDAY MARCH 11 @ 1:30 PM. TESTIMONIES CAN STILL BE SUBMITTED LATER BUT MAY POSSIBLY NOT BE ACCEPTED.
|RELATING TO FIREARMS AMMUNITION.|
|Report Title:||Ammunition; Purchase; License to Sell|
|Description:||Requires the licensing of sellers of ammunition, and for the identification and proper permitting of purchasers or possessors of ammunition. Regulates ammunition in the same manner that firearms are regulated. Takes effect on 7/1/2050. (HD1)|
|Current Referral:||PSM, JDC|
|Introducer(s):||C. LEE, CREAGAN, LOWEN, MIZUNO, NAKAMURA, ONISHI, WILDBERGER, San Buenaventura|
HIFICO’s position: STRONGLY OPPOSE
- Requires you to show firearms registration forms to purchase ammunition.
- Can only purchase caliber of ammunition listed on registration forms, requires you to get a 3 year permit to purchase other calibers.
- Firearms owner can designate another person to purchase ammunition, requires a 3 year ammunition permit, and they still cannot possess the ammunition.
- Restricts possession of ammunition. IE your spouse cannot use your ammunition for self-defense.
- You cannot give handgun ammunition to other persons (without firearm registration forms or permits) at a public shooting range
- Violates HRS 134-3(Registration) which forbids sharing of registration data.
- Criminals don’t go to stores, they will steal ammo or go through straw buyers.
- Persons from out of state may not have any of the required documents.