USE THE FORM BELOW TO SUBMIT TESTIMONY ON THIS BILL, TESTIMONY MUST BE SENT BY;
WEDNESDAY MARCH 11 @ 1:30 PM. TESTIMONIES CAN STILL BE SUBMITTED LATER BUT MAY POSSIBLY NOT BE ACCEPTED.
|Measure Title:||RELATING TO ELECTRIC GUNS.|
|Report Title:||Electric Guns; Electric Projectile Guns; Permit; Registration|
|Description:||Repeals section 134-16, Hawaii Revised Statutes, the existing law that bans electric guns, and replaces it with a law that restricts the ownership, use, storage, and disposal of electric guns, regulates the sale, distribution, and transfer of electric guns, requires training and education on electric guns, prohibits certain individuals from the possession and use of electric guns, and prohibits the carrying or use of electric guns in the commission of crimes. Establishes permitting requirement to acquire electric projectile guns and registration requirements. Effective July 1, 2050. (HD1)|
|Current Referral:||PSM, JDC|
|Introducer(s):||SAIKI (Introduced by request of another party)|
HIFICO OPPOSES THIS BILL DUE TO EXTREME RESTRICTIONS, BUT SUPPORTS THE OWNERSHIP OF ELECTRIC GUNS
- AMENDED TO REQUIRE PERMITS TO ACQUIRE
- This bill would severely hamper the publics ability to own and use a taser for self-defense by requiring a permit to acquire.
- Training would be costly and be difficult to get for sellers, resulting in no one selling them.
- It prevents the gifting of tasers to a loved one or friend.
- No other person can possess your electric gun. IE your spouse cannot use your electric gun for self-defense.
- The registration system would be burdensome to stores and retailers.
- Bill prevents online purchases.
- No other state has these requirements.
- Cheaper and/or easier to purchase a firearm.
- Items are not serialized.